Saturday, February 18, 2012

Why I Love Raw Milk

Why I Love Raw Milk:
  1. The taste is superior. I was never a milk drinker until I came upon raw milk. It tastes clean, crisp, and a little sweet. It is really creamy, and I like that I can skim the cream off of the top if I wanted to.
  2. In New York State, if you want to buy raw milk you have to purchase it directly from the farm it comes from. This means that I can see the conditions of the farm, and I can meet the cows that give me my milk, if I so desired. I know that the cows are living happy, healthy lives. They aren't living on top of each other in a factory farm, and therefore I am not inadvertently consuming antibiotics because the cows don't need a daily dose to make sure they don't get sick. 
  3. I get to support my local farmers, by getting my milk directly from them. My farm store also sells beef, veal, chicken, eggs, yogurt, and the best cheese I have ever had. These farmers are passionate about what they do, and it really shows in the quality of the food they produce.
  4. It has a plethora of vitamins and minerals, naturally. These vitamins and minerals are killed when the milk is pasteurized. Raw milk also has an enzyme in it that aids your body in digestion, so those who are lactose intolerant can usually drink raw milk. There are people out there who say that the only beings that should be drinking milk are baby cows, but I politely disagree when it comes to raw milk. In its natural state, it is a perfect, healthy food.
This is just a short list of the many reasons why I love raw milk. Personally, I like to know where my food comes from. I like to feed my body with foods that are as close to it's natural state as possible. I believe that when you process milk, you are breaking down the things that make it a perfect food. If you can get raw milk where you are, I think you should give it a try, even if it's only to support your local farmers.


No comments:

Post a Comment