Tuesday, February 21, 2012

After Mardi Gras

Today is Mardi Gras, which translates to "Fat Tuesday". This "holiday" was originally started so that people could eat up all of the stuff you couldn't eat during Lent, and essentially just have one big party before we buckle down.

Lent, for those that don't know, is the period between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday. It is a time where people reflect and fast. Even if you aren't Catholic, or religious, I feel that this time of fasting and reflecting is important. Even as a person who struggles with faith, I will always have a spot in my life for this period of reflecting and rebirth.

It is because of Lent that I have decided to go Vegan. So, until Easter Sunday, I will be abstaining from eating meat and meat products, including dairy. On Easter Sunday, I hope that my spirit will be reborn which coincides with what the holiday is all about.

Here is where I am going to urge everyone, regardless of religion, to take the time to reflect about our lives, to try to change the things we can, and to consciously try to be better people, no matter what form. Then on Easter, we can celebrate our rebirth as better people, and hopefully we will learn more about ourselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment