Monday, March 5, 2012

How To: Make your own deodorant

There are plenty of recipes that you can use to make your own deodorant, but this is the one that I normally use, and it works for me. You may need to try a few different recipes until you find the one that works for your body's chemistry.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup of arrowroot powder or corn starch
1/4 cup baking soda
6-8 tablespoons of coconut oil
10-20 drops of whatever essential oil you like, more or less depending.

Method:

Mix the arrowroot and baking soda together. Add softened coconut oil, and mix the two together until you like the consistency. Some people like their deodorant harder, so that you can apply it like a regular stick deodorant. I prefer mine a little softer, more like a paste that I apply with my fingers. After you mix everything together, add your essential oils. I used lavender and sweet orange for this batch, but you can use anything that you like! I have made it with lavender and tea tree before, as well.

After you get it mixed together, add it to your container. You can use an old deodorant dispenser if you prefer to use your home made deodorant like a stick deodorant, I used an old body butter container for mine.

Some people are sensitive to baking soda, so you may have to add less then recommended. It really is all about trial and error when it comes to making deodorant, again this is the one that I have found works for me.

Also, coconut oil will melt! If you find that your bathroom is on the warm side, you may have to keep your deodorant in the fridge, or add more arrowroot and baking soda to it to compensate.

If you have any questions, you can leave them in the comments or on my facebook page!

Peace and love.

This is what mine looks like before I smoosh it into my containers!

No comments:

Post a Comment